Students in Maryline Williams’ kindergarten class know they have a teacher who will help them succeed. The Henry David Thoreau Elementary School teacher is one of 16 Seattle Heroes in the Classroom to be recognized during the 2019 NFL season.
Discipline: Change in Placement
A change of placement occurs when a special education student is:
- Removed from current placement for more than ten consecutive school days in a school year; or
- Subjected to a series of removals in a school year and which constitute a pattern of removal because:
- The series of removals total more than ten school days in a year.
- The student behavior is substantially similar to the student’s behavior in previous incidents that resulted in the series of removals; and
- Factors such as the length of each removal, the total amount of time a student is removed, and the proximity of the removals to one another
Whether a series of removal constitutes a change in placement is determined on a case-by-case basis by the building principal and special education director and is subject to review through due process and judicial proceedings. The building administrator will notify the special education director or designee of relevant circumstances by email or in writing.
*See the Special Education Terms & Definitions page for more information.