What’s better than one Artz sister winning a silver medal? Two Artz sisters winning silver medals. Lily Artz, Finn Hill Middle School seventh grader, and Emma Artz, Juanita High School senior, each took home second place at the recent USA Cycling National Championships in Winter Park, Colo.
The Lake Washington schools shall strive to:
- Recognize the principle that every child's education in this district is a shared responsibility among educators, parents, and students.
- Honor the special prerogatives of parents.
- Stress the special responsibilities of parents.
Parents have rights including but not limited to the following:
- To be met with respect by all school personnel.
- To be free from discrimination by reason of race, creed, color, marital status, sex, age, national origin, handicap, membership, or nonmembership in organizations.
- To be informed of rules that students are expected to follow.
- To expect due process shall be observed in matters of discipline.
- To be informed of alternative programs which are available.
- To be informed of the procedure for scheduling a conference and getting a student progress report.
- To review all written records of their child unless the student is 18 years of age or older and is not considered to be a dependent of the parent.
- To expect school staff to recognize the importance of parental involvement in decisions related to the education or welfare of their children.
- To receive information regarding graduation requirements and post high school opportunities prior to ninth grade registration or at the time of a later enrollment.
- To schedule visits to schools and classes through a contact with a teacher, counselor, or building administrator.
- To enroll a child in a school other than the one in his/her home attendance area by using the district open boundary procedures.
- To request placement of a child in a class.
- To initiate a grievance against a staff member using the appropriate procedures and forms.
- To to review materials and state an objection to same using the appropriate procedures and forms.
- To be actively involved in the decision-making processes related to the improvement of instruction.
Parents have responsibilities including but not limited to the following:
- To be aware of their student's progress based on the objectives of the subject area and school.
- To respond to reports from school concerning their children.
- To share the responsibility of their student's attendance with the school.
- To instill in their children respect for constituted authority.
- To instill in their children respect for public and private property and make restitution in situations where it is justifiable.
- To be responsible for and to cooperate with the school in the maintenance of their student's mental and physical health.