Board Member Conflict of Interest
Policy code: GP-8
Board members are expected to avoid conflicts of interest involving any matter pending before the board. A conflict of interest is deemed to exist when a member is confronted with an issue in which the member has a personal or financial interest or an issue or circumstance that could render the member unable to devote complete loyalty and singleness of purpose to the public interest.
- If a Board member has a personal or private interest in any matter pending before the Board, the member (1) shall disclose such interest to the Board and be noted in the official minutes, or similar records, (2) shall not vote on the matter and (3) shall not attempt to influence, or attempt to influence, the decisions of other Board members.
- A member of the Board shall not also be an employee of the district, nor shall a member receive any compensation for services rendered to the district. This provision shall not prohibit members from receiving reimbursement for authorized expenses incurred during the performance of Board duties.
- The Board shall not enter into any contract with any of its members or with a firm in which a member has a beneficial interest unless one of the exemptions of state statute apply.
- A Board member is expected to avoid conflict of interest in the exercise of the member's fiduciary responsibility. Accordingly, a Board member may not:
- Disclose or use confidential information acquired during the performance of official duties as a means to further the Board member's own personal financial interests or the interests of a Board member's friends or immediate family.
- Accept, directly or indirectly, any compensation, gratuity or reward in connection with any contract from any other person beneficially interested, or accept any gift which would tend to improperly influence a reasonable person, or which the Board member knows or should know is primarily for the purpose of a reward for official action.
Monitoring Method: Board self-assessment
Monitoring Frequency: Annually
Lake Washington School District Board of Directors