Three LWSD middle school teams qualified for the 2018 VEX IQ Challenge at the VEX Robotics World Championship in Louisville, Kentucky beginning April 29.
Administrative Procedures Governing Out-of-District Travel
The following procedures are to be administered by appropriate administrators implementing policies relevant to student out-of-district travel.
- Ninety (90) days before the desired departure date, the staff member proposing the out-of-district trip that requires students being away from home overnight must meet with the building principal to describe their purpose and circumstances of the trip and request approval to proceed with the plan.
- The principal and advisor must agree upon a process for determining the level of support for the trip by each parent of students in the group. Parents must have all pertinent information and be allowed to state their opinion individually.
- Specific departure times, places, major events, travel arrangements and planned stops must be clearly spelled out and understood by students and parents.
- Housing of students in private homes will be approved only if organized and sponsored by a host organization. Specifics regarding addresses, phone numbers, names and proposed housing units must be carefully understood and communicated to students and parents. In all instances, prior notification and arrangements must be sent to parents, including information regarding transportation arrangements between private homes and activity locations.
- All trips must be financed and organized so that no employee benefits financially.
- Final budget and housing plans must be completed and approved by the building principal prior to continuing the budget and housing planning process.
- Informational meetings must be held with parents and students prior to finalizing each trip.
- Secure adult chaperones and advise them of their responsibilities. The appropriate number of chaperons is to be determined by the building principal and be subject to review by the superintendent or designee.
- Prepare alternative assignments and make supervision arrangements for those students who choose not to participate in the trip.
- Submit the Extended Field Trip Application form (#1234) to the superintendent's office 30 days prior to planned departure.
- Receive final administrative approval determined by the superintendent or designee.
- Provide Extended Field Trip Permission form (#1234) to all students planning to participate.
- Establish emergency procedures. One or more of the adult faculty sponsors or chaperones must have a current first aid and CPR certificate. Parent permission forms include health information, and the name of a person to be notified in case the parent is not available.
- Provide principal with all final details related to itinerary.