2022-23 Annual Report
Dear Lake Washington School District Community:
As the Superintendent of the Lake Washington School District, I am pleased to present our Annual Report for the 2022-23 school year.
This past year has been filled with challenges and triumphs, and I am incredibly proud of the resilience and dedication shown by our students, staff, and community. Our collective efforts have resulted in significant achievements detailed in this report.
Our district's vision, "Every Student Future Ready: Prepared for College, Prepared for the Global Workplace, Prepared for Personal Success," continues to guide our work. We remain committed to providing a high-quality education that equips our students with the skills and knowledge they need to thrive in an ever-changing world.
In this report, you will find detailed information about our district's performance, including academic achievement, graduation rates and school climate data. We believe in transparency and accountability, and we hope this report provides a clear picture of our progress and areas for improvement.
We are grateful for the continued support of our community. Your involvement in our schools makes a significant difference in our students' lives. Together, we can ensure that every student in the Lake Washington School District has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Thank you for your commitment to our students' success. We look forward to another year of growth and achievement.
Dr. Jon Holmen
Superintendent, Lake Washington School District
Lake Washington School District (LWSD) is proud to serve a growing and diverse community. LWSD has more than 30,500 students in 56 schools. The district covers over 76 square miles and includes the cities of Kirkland, Redmond and about half of Sammamish, Washington. Small portions of Bellevue and Woodinville are also in our boundary. In a period of five years, LWSD moved from the sixth-largest school district in the state to the second-largest. From 2008 to 2019, the district’s enrollment grew by an average of 667 students each year.
Mission: Each student will graduate prepared to lead a rewarding and responsible life as a contributing member of our community and greater society.
Vision: Every Student Future Ready: Prepared for College, Prepared for the Global Workplace, Prepared for Personal Success
Values: From the Boardroom to the classroom, Lake Washington School District is committed to the values that shape our culture:
- Focus on Students: To prepare our students we believe that all students must have opportunities to learn a rich curriculum in inclusive classrooms.
- Focus on Learning: To continue growing as an organization, everyone must have access to learning opportunities that encourage ongoing growth and development.
- Focus on Connections: To engage our community, our district must be focused on strong partnerships, outstanding service, and clear communication.
- Focus on Results: To be the best school district in the world, we are committed to high quality implementation of practices that produce positive change and sustainable transformation.
Priorities: We elevate everyone and everything in Lake Washington as we focus on:
- Success – We set high expectations and provide support to help students and staff grow every year.
- Well-Being – We create safe, welcoming and inclusive places to learn for students and staff.
- Engagement – We engage students, families, and community partners to improve student outcomes and build trust.
- Excellence – We ensure organizational responsibility through the effective use of resources and systems that align with district values and strategic priorities.
- Innovation – We encourage new ideas and embrace creativity and reimagine teaching and learning.
- Equity – We increase equitable outcomes by addressing barriers to engagement and success.
Results are the desired outcomes for our students. Results policies are part of the School Board’s governance structure. The Board regularly monitors the organization’s progress toward accomplishing Results, including achievement of the district’s mission and vision for students; focused on graduating every student Future Ready. You can learn more by reading our monitoring reports, available here: Monitoring reports.
The Lake Washington School District Board of Directors has the legal responsibility to govern the schools of the district. The Board represents the citizens of the district. They lead the operational organization in collaboration with the Superintendent, who functions as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Board members represent and are elected by the whole district. However, each director must be a resident of the specific director district whose seat they hold. That system ensures geographic representation on the board.
The Board governs the district using “Coherent Governance.” In this framework of organizational leadership, the Board establishes and monitors organizational performance. The Board sets Operational Expectations, policies that set limits and boundaries for achieving organizational goals and outcomes. They define desired outcomes for our students and the district through results policies.
Board members are elected officials who serve four-year terms. Many of these Board members have served for multiple terms, providing stability in district governance.
Board meetings are streamed live on the district website. They are also broadcast locally on Comcast channel 26. Videos of past board meetings, along with agendas, minutes and associated documents are available inside Board Docs.