Do you love to paint or draw? Write stories, poems or essays? Take photos? Make films or compose music? Dance? Then sign up for the Reflections Art Competition!
The Reflections program is a National PTA and Washington State PTA cultural arts program and competition. Reflections allows students to use their creative talents to express a theme through their own original artwork and to be recognized for their efforts. Participants in Reflections will have their work reviewed by local art professionals. Outstanding work may be sent to the PTA council, state, and national competitions. Top winners at the national level receive award packages, some of which include cash prizes!
Entering is easy. Here's how:
1. Sign up! Complete and return the Pre-Registration Form to the LWHS Main Office by Friday, October 12, 2012.
2. Choose a category:
-Visual Arts - Drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking.
-Literature - Works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics
-Music Composition - Original musical composition, with or without words.
-Photography - Prints up to 17 x 14 inches in color or black and white, including techniques: photogram, retouched, montage, sandwich and multiple exposure.
-Dance Choreography - originally choreographed dance composition.
-Film - Original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video film.
3. Choose a project idea that expresses the theme "The Magic of a Moment".
(To see how students have interpreted last year's theme, visit www.wastatepta.org. Click on
Programs and then on Reflections.)
4. Be creative and have fun!
5. Create a unique title and write an artist statement that connects the entry to the theme. Your
artist's statement should explain how the work interprets the theme. (Both items are required.)
6. Prepare the entry for display and judging according to the guidelines in the information packet.
7. Turn in your entry to the LWHS school office as soon as possible, but no later than Wednesday, October 24, 2012.