EVERGREEN WEB LEADER INFORMATION 2012
Who is a WEB leader? What is a WEB leader? Why become a WEB leader? How do I become a WEB leader?
WEB stands for Where Everybody Belongs, a WEB leader is responsible for showing all students at Evergreen Middle School that every student really does belong. Any current 7th grader can apply to be a WEB leader for the 2012-2013 school year. A WEB leader is a student that can be a positive role model to other students. Leaders will mentor incoming 6th and 7th graders to ensure that they have a positive transition into middle school. In becoming a WEB leader YOU will have a positive impact on the school environment and learn how to be a leader. Read through this packet if you would like to become a leader next year. If you think that you would be a good fit for the WEB program fill out the application, ask two teachers to fill out the recommendation form, and have your parent sign the application. Applications are due to Mrs. Tower’s desk by April 9th. Recommendations are due April 13th.
Qualities of a WEB Leader (a good leader has many but not necessarily all of these qualities)
- Good communicator
- Spirited (participates in school spirit days and activities)
- Willing to participate in a yearlong program with many commitments
- Respectful of diversity (able to work with different personalities)
- Risk taker
- Fun (crazy personalities encouraged)
- Passing grades
- No ongoing discipline problems
- Hard working
WEB leader commitments – The following is a list of REQUIRED events
· Spring Play Day: June 8th during 5th and 6th period.
· Summer WEB Leader Training: August 22nd and 23rd from 8am to 1pm
· First Day of School – you must arrive early
· At least one afterschool dance/social during the 2012-2012 year
· One training and one WEB event each month (during school hours)
· Possible lunch meetings during the school year (once every three weeks at most)
Additional optional commitments
Volunteers are needed for the WEB advisory committee. The advisory committee is a group of 8-12 WEB leaders that will help Ms. Kursteiner and Ms. Williamson run the WEB program. Committee members will facilitate meetings and trainings, help to brainstorm ideas for activities, assist in writing a newsletter or emails, photograph events, etc… This will require a few meetings beyond the additional WEB commitments. Meetings will be at lunch or before/after school throughout the 2012-2013 school year.
WEB Application Check List
q Fill out and sign application
q Get parent signature on application
q Give teacher recommendation form to a teacher of a year long course by April 9th. Be sure the top part is filled out by you.
q Give a second teacher recommendation form to any teacher that you have had this year by April 9th. Be sure the top part is filled out by you.
q Turn in the application to Mrs. Tower’s desk by April 9th.