Norman Rockwell PTA
2012-2013 (Approved May 22, 2012)
1. The name of this unit shall be Norman Rockwell PTA, local unit number 2.8.47. It was chartered on October 22, 1981.
2. The Norman Rockwell PTA (PTA) serves the Norman Rockwell Elementary School and works for the health, welfare, safety and education of all its children.
3. The membership service fee for this association shall be $18.00 for an individual, $30.00 for a couple. Membership at this PTA shall be open to all people that support and encourage the purpose of the PTA.
4. The students of Norman Rockwell Elementary shall be considered honorary members of this unit without voice, vote or privilege to hold office.
5. The PTA was incorporated on April 20, 1982. The UBI Number and Employer Identification Number are available upon request. It is the responsibility of this unit to file the Annual Corporation Report to renew the Articles of Incorporation prior to March 1st.
6. The PTA was registered under the Charitable Solicitations Act on April 2, 1986. The registration number is available upon request. It is the responsibility of this unit to file the annual registration by May 31st to avoid penalties.
7. The PTA was granted tax exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code on May 1998. A copy of the letter of determination is available upon request.
8. The PTA has designated the Washington State PTA as its registered agent with the Washington Secretary of State’s Office, the Washington Department of Revenue, and the United States Internal Revenue Service.
9. The current Treasurer is responsible for filing IRS Forms as required prior to November 15th. Copies of the current and past years’ returns are available upon request.
10. The original copy of any legal documents shall be kept in a safe deposit box at the bank where the PTA’s checking account is maintained. At least two elected officers shall have access to the contents of the safe deposit box. At least two copies of each of its legal documents shall be maintained in two separate locations; the Secretary’s legal documents notebook and the President’s legal documents notebooks.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
11. The elected officers (Executive Committee) of this unit shall be President, three (3) to five (5) Vice-Presidents, Secretary and Treasurer.
12. The Board of Directors shall consist of the Executive Committee and the chairs of the following standing committees: Legislation, Fundraising, Communications, Funds Allocation, and Membership. All past unit Presidents may serve as non-voting resources to the Board of Directors.
13. Any board position may be held jointly by two people. Each co-position holder shall be entitled to a voice and vote at a Board of Directors meeting. The President shall be impartial and vote only in the event of a tie.
14. The office or chairmanship shall be declared vacant if that person misses three (3) consecutive meetings unless previously excused by the President.
15. All members of the Board of Directors, all committee chairpersons, all volunteers handling money and all room parents must be current members of the Norman Rockwell PTA.
16. There shall be a two (2) year term limit for board members and chairpersons for any one committee. The Executive Committee may waive this limit.
17. The PTA shall conduct a financial review of its books and records by July 31st of each year. A financial review committee, consisting of PTA members, appointed by the President, shall not include any person authorized to sign on the PTA bank accounts for the period being reviewed.
18. The PTA shall have one or more bank accounts as determined by the Board of Directors. Any such account shall require the signatures of at least two (2) elected officers to make a withdrawal.
19. The PTA’s monthly bank account statements shall be provided unopened to a person who is not a signer on the account. Such person will be appointed by the Board at the beginning of the fiscal year. The reviewer shall promptly report any concerns or discrepancies identified in the review to the Executive Committee.
20. Chairpersons shall submit a committee plan of action report, either verbal or written, to their designated VP before, during and after the event as appropriate. Committees require Board of Director approval to exceed their budget by more than 10%.
21. All reimbursement requests for authorized expenses must include a receipt and be submitted to the Treasurer within 60 days of purchase. Requests for reimbursement must be received by June 1st, unless Treasurer pre-approves extension. Expenses over 60 days or submitted after June 1st without approval may be considered a donation to the PTA.
22. Should the PTA receive an NSF check, a $10 service fee may be charged to the check writer in addition to any bank penalties the PTA may accrue. If the NSF check or checks are not paid by June 1st, then the PTA will not accept checks from this individual in the future.
23. The PTA shall accept corporate sponsorship donations upon Board of Directors approval.
24. One or more Golden Acorn Awards, Rockwell Bow Wow Awards, and Rockwell Dog Gone Awards may be presented annually to an outstanding volunteer(s). One or more Outstanding Educator Awards may be presented annually to an outstanding teacher or educator. The Board of Directors shall determine the number of recipients. An Honorary Life Membership Award may be presented annually to an individual who has made a significant contribution to the growth and development of PTA. A committee appointed by the President shall select the recipients.
25. There shall be at least three (3) General Membership Meetings in the school year from September through June. Quorum at all general membership meetings shall be 10 members to conduct business.
26. The PTA shall approve its annual operating budget at a general membership meeting prior to the end of the school year. The Board of Directors may reallocate funds, as needed, up to 10% of the total budget without a vote by the general membership.
27. These Standing Rules shall be adopted at the first General Membership meeting in the fall by a majority vote. The Standing Rules may be amended at any regular General Membership meeting by a two-thirds vote, or if 10 days previous notice is given, by a majority vote.
28. Officers shall be elected at General Membership meeting in accordance with the Uniform Bylaws of the Washington State PTA for a term of one year. They shall assume office on July 1st.
29. The Nominating Committee shall be elected at a General Membership meeting according to the Uniform Bylaws of the Washington State PTA.
30. The Board of Directors will meet regularly, on a date and time to be determined by the Board. A quorum for a board meeting is a simple majority.
31. A Vice President shall preside over any scheduled meeting in which the President is not present.
32. Voting delegates to the Lake Washington PTSA Council shall be the President and three (3) authorized delegates and two (2) alternate delegates, as determined by the Executive Committee.
33. This PTA’s vote for the position of Washington State PTA Region 2 Directors shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
34. The voting delegates to the annual WSPTA convention shall be determined by the Executive Committee. The Board of Directors shall determine the number of delegates to be funded by the PTA.
35. The voting delegates to the WSPTA Legislative Assembly shall be the Legislation chair and/or delegates appointed by the Executive Committee.
Norman Rockwell PTA
1. The membership service fees are divided among the Lake Washington PTSA Council ($1.00), the Washington State PTA ($5.75), and the National PTA ($2.25). The remaining balance is deposited in PTA’s general fund.
2. Teachers and staff will be invited to attend any Rockwell PTA function at no admission charge.
3. The President may also appoint other resource representatives to the Board of Directors. These representatives shall be the Principal and the Teacher Representative(s).
4. The President may also appoint Special Committees as needed with the approval of the Executive Committee.
5. The Board of Directors must carry over funds to cover up to 50% of the operating budget for the first half of the next school year.
6. The PTA shall conduct a mid-year financial review of its books and records by February 28th of each year.
7. Programs planned by, staffed by, insured by, and money handled by the PTA shall make money on the program.
8. Written receipts shall be given when cash is received for a good or service to be rendered in the future.
9. All product sales disputes/questions must be handled within 60 days of delivery of product or by the end of the current school year, whichever comes first.
10. General Membership meetings are held on the third Thursday of the months of October, January, March or April and May in the Rockwell library, unless otherwise announced. The business meeting will start at 7:00 PM and end no later than 9:00 PM.
11. The Susan B. Tobey scholarship funds are to be used exclusively for required school related expenses; field trips, agendas, outdoor education, etc. School pictures do not constitute a required school related expense.
12. Each event will provide a limited number scholarship tickets or units (t-shirts, yearbooks, etc.). Yearbooks are limited to one per family.
13. The PTA shall charge a nominal surcharge per registrant for outside programs sponsored by the PTA. The suggested nominal surcharge shall be $1.00 per registrant.