August 20, 2015
Welcome to the 2015- 2016 school year! I hope that you all enjoyed the time home with your children. My husband and I took our twins back to Nebraska to visit family and had a wonderful time. The twins are excited to go into First Grade this year! I am looking forward to seeing all of you and your children soon and hearing about your summer adventures!
Our staff is meeting next week for 5 LEAP days of teacher professional development. This is an exciting time of year for us as we plan and prepare curriculum and programs for the upcoming school year. We are focusing our curriculum planning around the rigorous Common Core State Standards for ELA and Mathematics. In addition, all staff will participate in a training on “Positive Discipline in the Classroom” from Sound Discipline (http://www.sounddiscipline.org). We will learn more about building respectful relationships and using solution-focused problem solving with students. As always, our goal is to provide social and emotional support to students, as well as academic support.
Important Dates & Announcements:
New Staff Members
· Alaina Sivadasan will fill the new Associate Principal roles at Bell and Juanita El. She has experience as an AP for Eastlake HS and as an elementary school psychologist.
· Beth Shore is a new para who is coming on board to provide support for our K-5 students.
· Kelly Fenberg will join us as an IA, supporting K-5 students and our KISN program.
· Anna Roland is transferring to Juanita from Sandburg and will provide paraedcator support.
· Sandra Barlowe is a new paraeducator who has subbed in LWSD for two years, and will now join the Preschool Learning Center Team in Room 116.
· Vicki Heal has transferred from Rosa Parks to be our new ELL teacher.
· Greta Rieger is a new teacher that will be joining our 3rd Grade Team.
· Jessica Cottrill has transferred from Samantha Smith to provide support to our Special Education students.
· Carly Wilkinson completed her student teaching at Keller and will join the 5th Grade team.
· Nicole Brown completed her student teaching at Frost and will serve as the AMK/KISN teacher.
· Alana Schmidt has just moved here from Las Vegas, where she taught for 3 years. She will be teaching AMK at Juanita El and PMK at Sandburg.
· Wednesday, August 26th
o This year, 1st – 5th grade families will receive an email from their classroom teacher on Wednesday, August 26th. Class lists will be posted on the inside of the building during Meet & Greet.
· Wednesday, August 26th
o Kindergarten Orientation & Curriculum Night 6:00-7:30pm
o Mrs. Mangan’s 5th Grade Class Meet & Greet 6:00-7:00pm (Mangan students will receive an email notification on August 24th)
· Thursday, August 27th - Meet & Greet K-5th
o Meet your teacher 2pm
o Snow Cone Social 3pm- 4pm
· September 1st - First Day of School!
· September 10th - Curriculum Night
o 1st & 2nd Grade, 6:30- 7:40
o 3rd & 5th Grade, 7:15- 8:30
Our Vision: “Every Student Future Ready”
Our Mission: “Every Juanita Elementary student will prepare to graduate and lead a rewarding, responsible life as a contributing member of our society.”
As we begin the school year, we look forward to joining together in promoting academic excellence in a positive, safe and caring environment. Working collaboratively, we can and will provide meaningful high quality educational experiences for our students.
Dana Stairs, Principal
Juanita Elementary School