Navigate Up
Sign In
Register Your Child for School
Steps to register new students, including kindergarten, plus other registration options

Students must register at their "home" or neighborhood school, according to the attendance boundaries. Go to school and bus routes for information on what your “home” schools are, including elementary, middle school and high school, based on your address. If you need assistance determining which school your student will attend, please contact the Lake Washington School District transportation department at (425) 936-1120. During the summer, when your neighborhood school is closed, you can begin the registration process at the Lake Washington School District Resource Center, 16250 NE 74th St., Redmond, Washington.

Most schools require the following to register:

  • Proof of child's birth date, such as a birth certificate or passport
  • Proof of residency (such as an energy bill with your current address, lease agreement, or mortgage statement)
  • Records of Immunizations — students must meet state immunization requirements. Bring proof of immunization from your family physician or a local health department. The parent or guardian then transfers this information to a certificate of immunization and signs the certificate to verify its accuracy.
  • Emergency card — the parent or guardian fills out this form during registration. Bring information such as the student's birth date, address and home phone, mother and father's employer and work phone numbers, name and phone number of emergency contacts other than parent/guardian (ideally this person or people will live near the student), student's doctor's name and phone number, names of any medications student takes and any medical condition student may have.
  • Consent for Exchange of Information (if applicable) — If a student is transferring from another school, the parent or guardian must give their consent to transfer records from the student's previous school. It is helpful if the parent brings the name, address and phone number of the previous school.
  • Transcript or Academic History (if applicable) — Students transferring from another school should bring academic records. The school may also ask if the student has been in any special programs in their previous school such as English Language Learner, special reading program, etc.

Schools enroll students based on age. For example, according to Washington State's uniform entry age, a child must be six years of age as of midnight, August 31, of the year of entry to be entitled to enter first grade.

Some schools may have additional registration requirements. For further information, call the school directly. Some schools, particularly high schools, require that parents or students phone ahead for an appointment to register.

Variance & Transfer Information

Students who live in the district
Students who live within the district can apply for a variance to another school, if there is space available at that other school. See the Closed Schools Chart to determine where there is space available. Students from all areas of the district can apply to attend a Choice school. Each Choice school has its own application process.

Students who live outside the district
If a student lives outside the district, they may attend Lake Washington School District schools, however, an Choice Transfer application (also known as between district) is required and, again, space must be available. A student living in Lake Washington School District may also attend a different public school district if space is available there. Both types of transfer require transfer forms. For more information on transfers between districts, contact Pam Brown, (425) 936-1283.

Kindergarten registration
Registering your kindergarten student requires decisions as well as forms. Half day or full day? What makes sense for your child and your family? Learn how to register your child for kindergarten and how to help your child succeed in their first year of school.

Home-Based Instruction

Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-Based Instruction Must Be Filed Annually
If you are a family who intends to provide your child or children home-based instruction in lieu of attendance or enrollment in a public school, an approved private school, or an extension program of an approved private school, you must file an annual declaration of intent to do so. The Declaration of Intent to Provide Home School Instruction can be obtained at our school district’s Resource Center on the third floor or downloaded here. Please contact or for additional information.

How Do I...
School & Bus Finder

 Student Registration Forms


 Latest News for Parents


School Resumes after Thanksgiving Vacation
Monday, 11.30

HIV / AIDS Curriculum Presentation for Parents
Resource Center, 6:30 p.m.
Monday, 11.30

PTSA Council Meeting
Resource Center, 9:30 a.m.
Thursday, 12.3

School Board Meeting
Resource Center, 7:00 p.m.
Monday, 12.7

Environmental & Adventure School Information Night
FHMS Commons, 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, 12.15

Tesla STEM High School Information Night
Tesla STEM High Presentation Hall, 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, 12.16

 Related Links for Parents