Lake Washington School District offers two options to parents who are looking for alternatives to the assigned neighborhood school. One option is to investigate Choice Schools, which are open to residents from all over the district. Each choice school has its own application process. The Choice School section has more information on applying to choice schools, as well as information on each school. Parents must provide transportation for their student who attends a Choice School.
Variance within Lake Washington School District
Another option is to receive an approved variance to another school in the Lake Washington School District, known as an In-District Variance. You can apply for an In-District Variance to any school within the district that has been determined to be "Open." Please note that at the Elementary Level, though a school may be identified as "Open," there may be grade levels within the school that are at enrollment capacity and those grade levels may be "Closed." Applications to these schools are not guaranteed acceptance. Refer to the "Open and Closed Schools" charts below to determine whether a school you may be interested in is available for an In-District Variance request.
Variances are limited
Due to increasing enrollment, many schools are closed to In-District Variances. Open schools may have limited space available. In-District Variances are accepted on a space available basis. The district has developed a priority process for accepting In-District Variances when an open school / grade level receives more requests than the specific number of available spaces at that school. In applying that process,
- First priority is given to students with a concurrently enrolled sibling at the requested school. Should requests exceed spaces available, a lottery will be conducted.
- Should space remain, next priority is given to students who have attended a school which feeds into the requested school. (For example, students may attend a "split-feeder," a district program, or were on a previously-approved variance.)
- Should requests exceed spaces available, a lottery will be conducted.
- Should spaces remain, next priority is given to remaining variance requests.
- Should requests that remain exceed spaces available, a lottery will be conducted.
You can apply for an In-District Variance at any time, but In-District Variance requests initiated during the Open Enrollment period will ensure that you learn earlier whether your In-District Variance is approved. The open enrollment period for the 2015-16 school year will be from February 2 to 27, 2015.
Parents are required to provide transportation for their student who attends a school through an In-District Variance. Student(s) must continue to meet his / her school's attendance expectations. For this information, please refer to your school's Student Handbook.
Open Enrollment Period: February 2, 2015 - February 27, 2015