The Quest program is designed for highly capable students who have been assessed to have superior intellectual, academic and creative abilities. The district screens and selects students for the elementary full-time, elementary enrichment pull-out and middle school Quest programs. The program has only a limited number of student spaces available.
Elementary Quest serves second through fifth grade students.
Middle School Quest
Middle School Quest serves students in grades six through eight.
Identifying Quest students
Students must go through the district’s application and assessment process to be considered for the Quest program.
- be residents of Lake Washington School District;
- complete the online application;
- demonstrate high academic achievement, cognitive ability and creativity;
- participate in the district’s testing process for selection;
Students are assessed and selected for enrollment based on state guidelines for identifying highly capable students. Learn more about the selection process for elementary Quest and middle school Quest.
Quest students have already been selected for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Applications will be available online.
- Elementary applications will be accepted beginning October 1, 2012, until 4 p.m. on October 30, 2012.
- Middle School applications will be accepted beginning October 1, 2012, until 4 p.m. October 30, 2012.
- Late applications are not accepted.
Application screening procedures
To be considered for the Quest program, applicants must first meet the screening criteria. The district reviews the most recent report card and standardized testing data to determine eligibility for Quest assessment.
Applicants who meet the screening criteria will qualify for Quest assessment. Private testing outside of the district cannot be used to substitute for district testing.
Applicants who meet the screening criteria are scheduled for round I of district assessment. There are three rounds of Quest testing:
- Round I: Cognitive Ability Assessment
- Round II: Academic Achievement Assessment
- Round III: Assessment of the student’s creativity through classroom teachers completing the Renzulli Scales for Rating the Behavioral Characteristics of Superior Students
The district uses elementary and middle school assessment criteria to select students for Quest. Placement is limited and students meeting the assessment criteria for placement consideration may be placed on a waiting list.
Note: Students who accept placement in the Quest program will be removed from choice school waiting lists.
Appeals for reconsideration of students who have not met the screening or the assessment criteria are reviewed by an appeals review team after application screening, after round I of assessment and after round II of assessment. All appeals must be submitted in writing. Contact the Quest office for specific criteria and deadlines for appeals. The decisions of the appeals review team are final.