What are the benefits to mentors?
One hour of a mentor’s time each week pays dividends for lunch buddies for years to come.
Mentors have the opportunity to:
- Share valuable life and educational experiences with their buddy.
- Share their talent for drawing, jewelry making, playing chess, or any other fortes they may have.
- Be responsible for a student saying “I can.”
- Be a positive role model
- Learn more about the challenges facing today’s schools and students, and celebrate their successes.
What are the benefits to students?
Mentored students are more likely to:
- Have higher GPAs
- Go to college
- Have positive relationships with parents and peers, and
- Have a better attitude toward school, family, and careers.
Mentored students are more likely to say:
- “I can do well in school” rather than “Why bother?”
- “I can say no to drugs” rather than “everyone else is doing it, so I guess I will too.”
- “I can go to college” rather than “College isn’t for students like me.”