Lake Washington School District is grateful to generous community members and businesses for their interest in donating computer equipment for use by schools. This spirit of generosity reflects the community support that is so critical to the district. To make sure these generous donations can be properly supported and maintained for the use of our students, however, the district staff has developed a set of standards for donated equipment.
Hardware donations are restricted to devices that meet current district standards. Donations that do not meet these standards cannot be accepted since the technology support staff cannot maintain them. The school that receives the donation is responsible for the cost of all additional power, network, or facilities needed to accommodate the new equipment.
Computer equipment donation to a school:
- We only accept donated funds to purchase computer equipment based on current district standard models.
- Donation offers should be directed to the Chief Technology Officer or designee.
Software donation to a school:
- Donations must include the license(s) for operation, media shipped by the publisher and documentation.
- The district cannot accept an older version of software for which the donor has paid for an upgrade. The older version is still part of the software license and giving it away would be a violation of copyright agreement with the publisher.
- The software must meet district standards for curriculum and / or must be on the approved list of district software.
- Donated software must include licensing for all computers at a school.
Monitor donation to a school:
- We accept donated funds to purchase equipment based on district standards or flat panel monitors that are Energy Star compliant, have a minimum screen size of 19" and use a VGA or DVI connector.
- The district technology support staff must assess the donation of a monitor.
- It must be in good, working condition and have all the parts to comprise a complete system (including appropriate cables).
Other peripheral donation to a school:
- Due to the many peripherals available, donations will be handled on a case by case basis. Here are a few guidelines, nonetheless:
- We accept donated funds to purchase equipment based on district standards
- The district technology support staff must assess the donation of peripheral equipment.
- It must be in good, working condition and have all the parts to comprise a complete system.
Once a donation is received:
- Equipment must pass a hardware inspection by the district's Computer Repair department.
- Equipment / software exceeding $1,000 in value must be accepted by the school board.
- Once the equipment is received, the school will notify the Inventory Department (Business Services), where the item will be added to the school's inventory and a district inventory tag will be generated. School staff will affix the inventory tag.
- The Inventory Department will notify the Superintendent's Office, which will send an acknowledgement and thank you to the donor.