The board is aware that the schools belong to the people who created
them by taxation and consent. The board also believes that the schools
shall only be as strong or as successful as the intelligent and knowledgeable
support of the people permit them to be and never stronger. The board
recognizes that intelligent, informed support of the schools is dependent
upon full knowledge, understanding, and participation in the efforts, goals,
problems and programs of the school district. It is aware of its responsibility
to provide the public with information and opportunities leading to participation
of the public directly or indirectly in the establishment of programs and
policies that are in the public interest.
Therefore, the board and the school district shall strive to:
- Ensure that the public within the district have full access to information
concerning programs and policies which concern them.
- Determine the public's reaction to the policies and programs anticipated
or now carried out in the district.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of welcome public involvement in
- Recognize and encourage the realization and/or strengthening of the
fact that schools belong to the community and cannot be separated from it.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of mutual understanding and respect
for children and adults residing, studying, or employed within the district.
Current practice codified 1988
RCW 28A.58.246 and
RCW 28A.58.640 through
Cocurricular and Extracurricular Programs (IGD)
School-Community Relations Goals (KA-R)